This Blood Orange Sangria is light & refreshing with a definite burst of juicy citrus flavor.
1 bottle chardonnay
1/4 cup brandy
3 blood oranges
1 cara-cara orange, or other orange
1/2 ruby red grapefruit
1 small apple
1 small pear
- Pour the wine and brandy in a large pitcher.
- Juice 2 blood oranges, 1/2 grapefruit, and 1/2 lemon. Juicing by hand works perfectly.
- Strain through a fine mesh strainer to remove pulp and seeds, then pour into the pitcher. Stir.
- Core and chop the apple and pear and place the pieces into the pitcher.
- Slice the remaining 2 oranges into halved segments and/or round slices and add to the pitcher.
- Stir and refrigerate until ready to serve. Best if chilled for 4 hours before serving to allow flavors to fully develop.
- Pour each glass, add some of the fruit, and a good splash of sparkling water [about 2-3 tablespoons per serving, for 4 servings].
*Tip* Recipe is easily doubled. For a sweeter drink add 1/4 cup sparkling citrus juice in step 1, and reduce the splash of sparkling water by half.