This festive Champagne-and-cranberry-juice drink is perfect for a celebratory party.
(For a nonalcoholic alternative, substitute lemon-lime or club soda for the cognac and Champagne. If making syrup up to 1 week ahead, chill airtight.)
2 quart(s) cranberry juice cocktail
8 slice(s) (quarter size and about 1/8-inch thick) peeled fresh ginger
2 (about 3 inches long) cinnamon sticks
2 whole(s) star anise
1/3 cup(s) cognac or brandy
8 cup(s) (about 2 2/3 bottles, 750 ml. each) Champagne or other sparkling wine, chilled
32 to 48 fresh cranberries, rinsed, or frozen cranberries (optional)
- In a 3 1/2- to 4-quart pan, combine cranberry juice, ginger, cinnamon sticks, and star anise. Boil over high heat until reduced to 2 cups, about 1 hour.
- Let cool about 30 minutes, then pour through a fine strainer into a small pitcher. Chill syrup until cold, at least 1 1/2 hours.
- For each serving, pour 2 tablespoons of the cranberry syrup and 1 teaspoon cognac into a Champagne flute (6 to 8 ounces).
- Add 1/2 cup (4 oz.) Champagne.
- Garnish with 2 or 3 cranberries if desired.